Monday, August 28, 2017

What Do You Think of These (Bathrooms)?

Some days, I fixate on one palette, as evidenced by these intriguing, European bathrooms:

German house from Desire to Inspire. Seriously, look at the whole tour. It's luxe, if not my scene...

Spanish house from Desire to Inspire. Is it just me or can you spot a Barcelonean place from its floors alone?
See a theme? In full disclosure, I'm not one of those people who shies away from pink. My house was painted very pale pink from top to bottom. Admittedly, it was that way when we bought the house but, when I repainted, I kept the pink.

Kristin, what do you think of these? Well, what I love about them is the textural quality of each. They're pretty busy on either the floor or the ceiling, but the rest of the room balances that out, to my eye. And in both instances, mirrors give scope. Mind you, it's scarcely like these rooms need additional scope. They're huge by comparison with the size of my new bathrooms...

Re: German bathroom: I do love rads, that door molding is lovely and the sink is huge. Mind you, the wood is too yellow-toned for the pink, IMO, and it looks like you could stab yourself on the edges of that structure (would we call it a vanity?). I love that this is set up differently than most bathrooms - to suit the realities of the space rather than to force the "standard bathroom" orientation of things. The lighting is pleasingly soft, but the lit mirror means one can apply makeup day or night.

Re: Barcelona bathroom: Honestly, that floor. I love it just cuz it reminds me of Barcelona! I adore the height of the room, the huge window and shutter. I love the mirrored backsplash under the sink. I love the juxtaposition of light colours with black and the rosette on the ceiling (though it's strangely placed given where the WC is). I don't like marble much but, given the choice, this is how I'd use it. (Note: marble is a pain in the ass, IMO. I don't recommend it.)

Moreover, I find both of these bathrooms kind of sexy (if one can apply this term to a bathroom without seeming weird). I think I will be aiming for sexy in the new house.

But what about you? What do you think of these?

13 comments:

  1. Pre our last bathroom reno, I decided that small high contrast patterns make me nauseated.....everywhere, not just in bathrooms. So we have a very monochromatic cream to pale honey color scheme, with pine cabinet, shelves and window/door trim. We mixed natural stone and ceramic tile (and it looks great) and have a larger than usual sink to have a spot to wash the dog. 3 years down the line I still love it, despite being told by practically every contractor that it would hurt resale of the house (which is not in the plan so who cares, let the heirs worry about that). All this to say neither of the baths as they stand would be my choice, but its so individual. Loving the invitation to think about all these choices.....

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceci: That is a very good thing to consider! Nausea multiple times a day is not good! I love stone. Love. Thanks for sharing...

      Delete
  2. My only advice involving a bathroom is this: choose a color scheme that suits your skin tone. My bathroom is yellow--yellow wall tile, yellow shower, yellow countertop, yellow 'stone look' floor tiles...I look like death warmed over a few too many times in yellow. Needless to say, I *HATE* getting ready to go anywhere in that bathroom, because I always look terrible. Such a small thing, but it causes me endless irritation. Alas, the bathroom is reasonably functional if ugly as hell, so it stays. For now. This house has far larger problems than the ugly bathroom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such SMART advice. Thank you for reminding me of this. I actually have the tile sorted for the 2 bathrooms and they are entirely unlike these colours. They're actually super bright - utterly cheerful. But, natch, gotta make sure it's all gonna work and that they're in stock etc. before I'll be able to confirm that's how I'll go. Mind you, my bathrooms are both very small in the scheme of things so I need to go punchy and compact. I can't leverage the beautiful amount of space these bathrooms have.

      Delete
  3. I find both bathrooms sort of busy, in part because the first one appears like a hall of mirrors in the photo, presumably not so much in real life. We installed an Ikea double kitchen sink iwith cabinet n our bathroom remodel/creation and that is awesome. OTOH, the wall color is terrible, matches our master bedroom since it is master bath and was chosen to bring out a color in carpeting which was never used. Even in the room where that carpet was used, that wall color is terrible but not a priority to switch out. Anyway, at this point in my life, I would look at accessibility features like grab bar in shower, no shower lip (whatever the word is for the step up) etc. I guess I don't view bathrooms quite as interior decorating possibilities because the practical elements are so determinative. I do like the floor in the second bathroom. The mirror under the cabinet is a nice design feature and would amuse my cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Ceci (above) is on you page. I love mirrors but I can see how they take something busy and amp it up. And on the topic of installing accessibility features - I hear you. I am forever anxious about killing myself when I step in and out of the tub in my rental house. It's so badly set up. In my new bathroom (vs Scott's) I will only have a shower because I find them safer!

      Delete
  4. Not a particularly sophisticated comment here, but I will be redoing bathrooms in the next year or two.

    The German bathroom makes me dizzy somehow, and I need to say too much mirroring going on. I like the lit mirror though, and I have no objection to pink, which is a good flattering color in a bathroom. I agree that the wood is too yellow for the walls.

    I do like the other bathroom much better. I like the patterned tile floor, and am considering patterened tiles in my bathrooms. I think to make that work I would need everything else to be fairly sleek and neutral. I like the way the marble vanity seems to float on the mirrored wall, and the smoke glass of the shower. I also like the single long rectangular sink as opposed to two sinks. Marble may not be my first choice either but it works here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mardel: Let me say how impressed I am that you are reno-ing all the things, totally in accordance with your needs and tastes. You kick ass. I kind of love patterned tile but I'm very wary of using it because I do not want it to detour into the realm of trendy (or grandma chic, if the style-tides turn).

      Delete
    2. Well, I think the tiny black and white tile that came with the house is "grandma chic" but everyone else around me goes 'Oooh..." whereas so many more interesting things were done in the period. I hope my thoughts aren't too in-line with trendy, but I think going with what you love is often a good idea.

      At the moment, even though the next stage of reno is still more imaginary than real, plans may be slightly delayed by a water issue, a water issue in old plaster. But I knew what I was getting into...

      Delete
    3. Well, you know our plans were delayed (one way or another for 3 years). Delays just seem to be a reno reality. BTW, I LOVE the mini bw tile (hexagonal, yes)? Not grandma chic but maintaining the grouting is a bitch.

      Delete
    4. The one bath has the hexagonal tile, I like that one, the other is geometric in multiple sizes. Don't like it much. But both baths will be gutted, so we will see.

      Delete
  5. I think I like the Spanish bathroom better than the German one. I like easy to clean, good lighting, enough storage for the toiletries and towels, and not too many mirrors (makes me dizzy). I would rather have a good full length mirror in the dressing room or walk in closet.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb: I think the Spanish bathroom wins. Don't think that under sink storage isn't totally appealing to me, though there's no universe in which I'll be able to recreate it in my house!

      Delete